Share this Page
NOTE: The Smarter Balanced Digital Library was decommissioned. Please visit Tools for Teachers, the new home for instructional resources and professional learning.
Digging into the Digital Library (and Student Achievement) in Spokane, WA
What is more inspiring educators than to see their students excited about their own learning progress? Only seeing students get excited about each other’s work. Centennial Middle School educators have found using the Connections Playlists to connect each student with high-quality classroom activities that best match their skill level means they are doing important work that they enjoy.
Centennial Middle School
Location: Spokane County
District: West Valley School District
Mission: Each West Valley student will have a rigorous and relevant education achieved through strong relationships to maximize readiness for college, career and citizenship.
Interview Date: June 2018
“Once you dig into the Digital Library and realize the valuable resources that are there, I think it’s something that teachers will want to use more and more.”Christine Vaccarezza, 6th-8th Grade Teacher, Centennial Middle School
Spotlight on Strategy
Instructional tools like instructional resources, interim assessments, and Connections Playlists are a powerful suite of tools that are making a big impact in teacher Christine Vaccarezza’s classroom. Here is how she’s making the most of these resources:
- Really dig in and explore the Smarter Balanced Digital Library and all the available resources.
- After administering an interim assessment, use Connections Playlists to find teaching resources appropriate to each student’s achievement level.
- Modify teaching resources from the Smarter Balanced Digital Library to best fit preferred instructional approach.
- Empower students by sharing results with them immediately, which they are eager to review. They are invested and want to know what they can do to improve.
Meet the Star Educator
Interview Day: Behind the Scenes
- Christine Vaccarezza, 6th-8th Grade Teacher, explains to the Smarter Balanced video crew that using Smarter Balanced Digital Library helps her inspire students to be invested in their own education.
- By using Connections Playlists to find teaching resources in the Smarter Balanced Digital Library, teacher Christine Vaccarezza can match each student to a lesson appropriate for their achievement level.
- Middle school teacher Christine Vaccarezza says the Smarter Balanced Digital Library saves her time and she’s confident that the teaching resources are aligned to state standards and the formative assessment process.