Smarter Balanced has established several advisory committees to inform the ongoing development and operation of the assessment system. These teams of national experts work to ensure the assessments accurately measure student progress and growth toward college and career readiness.
The Technical Advisory Committee
The Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) provides guidance on technical assessment matters pertaining to validity and reliability, accuracy, and fairness. Members of the TAC are highly regarded national experts who have been widely published in their fields. Areas of expertise include: assessment design; computer adaptive testing (CAT); assessment accommodations; uses of tests; mathematics, and English language arts/literacy.
- Heidi Andrade, Ph.D.
- Randy Bennett, Ph.D.
- Derek C. Briggs, Ph.D.
- Susan M. Brookhart, Ph.D.
- Gregory J. Cizek, Ph.D.
- Shelbi Cole, Ph.D.
- David Conley, Ph.D.
- Brian Gong, Ph.D.
- Edward Haertel, Ph.D.
- Gerunda Hughes, Ph.D.
- G. Gage Kingsbury, Ph.D.
- James W. Pellegrino, Ph.D.
- Barbara Plake, Ph.D.
- Jim Popham, Ph.D.
- Guillermo Solano-Flores, Ph.D.
- Martha Thurlow, Ph.D.
- Sheila Valencia, Ph.D.
English Language Learners Advisory Committee
The English Language Learners Advisory Committee is comprised of national experts in ELL assessment, bilingual education, and language acquisition. This committee will provide feedback to Smarter Balanced staff, work groups, and contractors to ensure that the assessments provide valid, reliable, and fair measures of achievement and growth for English learners.
Students with Disabilities Advisory Committee
The Students with Disabilities Advisory Committee is comprised of national experts in learning disabilities, assistive technology, and accessibility and accommodations policy. This committee will provide feedback to Smarter Balanced staff, work groups, and contractors to ensure that the assessments provide valid, reliable, and fair measures of achievement and growth for students with disabilities.
Performance and Practice Committee
The Performance and Practice Committee is comprised of approximately 20 educators from Smarter Balanced member states who were nominated by state chiefs. The committee also includes experts in educational measurement, English learners, and students with disabilities. The goals of the committee are to:
- Provide recommendations for enhancements to the Smarter Balanced Assessment System
- Serve as a communication and information resource for the Consortium
- Michael Amolins (South Dakota)
- Crista Anderson (Montana)
- Tara Battistoni (Connecticut)
- Todd Bloomquist (Oregon)
- Susan Brookhart (Technical Advisory Committee)
- Michelle Center (California)
- Gregory Cizek (Technical Advisory Committee)
- Dan Durrwachter (Indiana)
- Mary Jo Faust (Delaware)
- Tanya Golden (California)
- Janine Infantine Goldsnider (Connecticut)
- Brian Gong (Technical Advisory Committee)
- Kandi Greaves (Vermont)
- Susan Green (California)
- Shannon Mashinchi (Oregon)
- Mike Nelson (Idaho)
- Abby Olinger Quint (Connecticut)
- Jim O’Neill (Montana)
- Jennifer Paul (Michigan)
- Steve Seal (California)
- Melissa Speetjens (Hawaii)
- Toni Wheeler (Washington)