Work Group Structure and Governance
The work groups are composed of representatives from member states and may include chiefs, assessment directors, assessment staff, curriculum specialists, professional development specialists, and other specialists as needed. Each work group is led by co-chairs from Governing States, approved by the Executive Committee.
All work groups, led by the co-chairs, are charged with the following tasks:
- Define specific scope and time line of the work group to accomplish the deliverables and milestones identified in the Smarter Balanced Master Work Plan. As appropriate, define risks, assumptions, and constraints;
- Develop work plan and resource requirements to guide vendor and work group activities;
- Determine and monitor allocated budget;
- Oversee and direct Consortium work in assigned content area and oversee and direct vendors, if applicable.
Smarter Balanced Work Groups
- Formative Assessment Practices and Professional Learning/Transition to Common Core State Standards
Item Development/Performance Tasks
Test Administration/Student Access
Validation and Psychometrics/Test Design