Work Group Structure and Governance
The work groups are composed of representatives from member states and may include chiefs, assessment directors, assessment staff, curriculum specialists, professional development specialists, and other specialists as needed. Each work group is led by co-chairs from Governing States, approved by the Executive Committee.
All work groups, led by the co-chairs, are charged with the following tasks:
- Define specific scope and time line of the work group to accomplish the deliverables and milestones identified in the Smarter Balanced Master Work Plan. As appropriate, define risks, assumptions, and constraints;
- Develop work plan and resource requirements to guide vendor and work group activities;
- Determine and monitor allocated budget;
- Oversee and direct Consortium work in assigned content area and oversee and direct vendors, if applicable.
Smarter Balanced Work Groups
- Formative Assessment Practices and Professional Learning/Transition to Common Core State Standards
Item Development/Performance Tasks
Test Administration/Student Access
Validation and Psychometrics/Test Design
Work Group Resources
Advisory Committee Structure & Governance
There are three Advisory Committees:
- Technical Advisory Committee
- English Language Learners Advisory Committee
- Students with Disabilities Advisory Committee
The Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) provides guidance on technical assessment matters pertaining to validity and reliability, accuracy, and fairness. Members of the TAC are highly regarded national experts who have been widely published in their fields. Areas of expertise include: assessment design; computer adaptive testing (CAT); assessment accommodations; uses of tests; mathematics, and English language arts/literacy.
- Jamal Abedi, Ph.D.
- Randy Bennett, Ph.D.
- Derek C. Briggs, Ph.D.
- Gregory J. Cizek, Ph.D.
- David T. Conley, Ph.D.
- Linda Darling-Hammond, Ph.D.
- Brian Gong, Ph.D.
- Edward Haertel, Ph.D.
- Joan Herman, Ph.D.
- G. Gage Kingsbury, Ph.D.
- James W. Pellegrino, Ph.D.
- W. James Popham, Ph.D.
- Joseph Ryan, Ph.D.
- Martha Thurlow, Ph.D.
English Language Learners Advisory Committee
The English Language Learners Advisory Committee is comprised of national experts in ELL assessment, bilingual education, and language acquisition. This committee will provide feedback to Smarter Balanced staff, work groups, and contractors to ensure that the assessments provide valid, reliable, and fair measures of achievement and growth for English learners.
- Jamal Abedi, Ph.D.
- Edward Bosso
- Donna Christian, Ph.D.
- Richard Duran, Ph.D.
- Kathy Escamilla, Ph.D.
- James Green, Ph.D.
- Kenji Hakuta, Ph.D.
- Okhee Lee, Ph.D.
- Robert Linquanti
- Maria Santos
- Guadalupe Valdes, Ph.D.
Students with Disabilities Advisory Committee
The Students with Disabilities Advisory Committee is comprised of national experts in learning disabilities, assistive technology, and accessibility and accommodations policy. This committee will provide feedback to Smarter Balanced staff, work groups, and contractors to ensure that the assessments provide valid, reliable, and fair measures of achievement and growth for students with disabilities.
- Carol Allman, Ph.D.
- Bridget Dalton, Ed.D.
- Donald D. Deshler, Ph.D.
- Barbara Ehren, Ed.D.
- Jack M. Fletcher, Ph.D.
- Jacqueline F. Kearns, Ed.D.
- Susan Rose, Ph.D.
- Ann C. Schulte, Ph.D.
- Richard Simpson, Ed.D.
- Stephen W. Smith, Ph.D.
- Martha L. Thurlow