Many organizations have developed resources to explain the standards and help teachers support student success in the classroom. The factsheets, videos, and instructional resources below provide detailed information for educators, parents, and policymakers about college- and career-ready standards.
Common Core State Standards Resources
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
CoreStandards.org is the official website for the Common Core State Standards. The site includes general information, resources, and news on the CCSS.
- Introduction to the Common Core State Standards (PDF)
This one-page overview of the CCSS accompanied the release of the standards by the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center).
- Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts (PDF)
The full set of the Common Core State Standards for English language arts/literacy for grades K-12.
- Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF)
The full set of the Common Core State Standards for mathematics for grades K-12.
- Introduction to the Common Core State Standards (PDF)
Resources for Engaging Parents and the Public
- The Common Core State Standards: An Introduction for Families and Other Stakeholders
This two-page flyer—available in both English and Spanish—was developed by The Aspen Institute to explain what the standards are and why they are important for improving public education.
- Council of the Great City Schools Three-Minute Videos
The Council of the Great City Schools developed a three-minute video—available in English and Spanish—that gives a brief introduction to the CCSS and that explains how the standards will help students prepare for college and career. The style and accessible language make these videos well-suited for presentations to community and parent groups.
- Common Core State Standards Videos by the James B. Hunt, Jr. Institute for Educational Leadership and Policy and the Council of Chief State School Officers
The Hunt Institute and CCSSO developed this series of videos featuring the authors of the standards discussing the development process and how the standards impact students.
- Council of the Great City Schools Parent Roadmaps for English Language Arts and Literacy and for Mathematics
The Council of the Great City Schools developed parent roadmaps that provide grade-by-grade information for parents about the expectations of the CCSS, including examples of topics and content at each grade level and tips on supporting learning at home.
- PTA Parents’ Guide to Student Success
The National PTA created guides in English and Spanish for grades K-12 to inform parents about the CCSS and support their children’s success. The guides outline the key concepts that students should be learning in each grade in English language arts/literacy and mathematics, methods for building relationships with teachers, and tips for planning for college and career.
Resources for Educators and Administrators
- “The Ignite Show:” The Common Core of Success
Georgia Public Broadcasting’s Teachers Ignite produced special episodes of “The Ignite Show” featuring state teachers of the year bringing the Common Core into the classroom. These shows were developed by the National Network of State Teachers of the Year and The Hunt Institute in partnership with the American Federation of Teachers, the National Education Association, and the National PTA.
- “From the Page to the Classroom: Implementing the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Literacy” and “From the Page to the Classroom: Implementing the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics”
These professional development videos were developed by the Council of Great City Schools for central office and school-based staff and teachers as an introduction to the instructional shifts required by the CCSS. The videos feature some of the content writers speaking about the CCSS at professional development conferences hosted by the Council.
- Share My Lesson
Developed by the American Federation of Teachers and TES Connect, Share My Lesson’s Common Core Information Center offers facts, figures, and tips about the CCSS and high-quality resources aligned to the standards across all subjects.
- Teaching Channel
Teaching Channel offers a free library of high-quality videos featuring real teachers demonstrating their best educational practices. The large library of CCSS videos includes tags that specify the exact standards to which a lesson is aligned.
- Common Core in Practice: Great Teachers Demonstrate Moving to Deeper Learning
America Achieves developed a series of videos demonstrating effective instruction aligned to the Common Core. These five videos show how teachers are putting the new standards into practice in their classrooms and how enthusiastically their students are responding.
- Student Achievement Partners
Student Achievement Partners’ website offers a variety of free, high-quality materials to help educators align their instruction to the Common Core State Standards and raise student achievement. Resources include materials and guides aligned to the standards, essential actions for school and district leaders, professional development modules, and information on how educators can support the CCSS outside of the school.
Developed by ASCD, the EduCore tool provides secondary teachers with high-quality teaching and learning resources aligned to the CCSS.
- NEA Common Core State Standards Toolkit
The National Education Association’s Common Core Working Group produced this toolkit to ensure members have the knowledge and understanding necessary to prepare for the implementation of CCSS.
- Raising the Bar: Implementing Common Core State Standards for Latino Student Success
The National Council of La Raza (NCLR) developed this implementation guide to help policymakers develop strategies to ensure educational success for Hispanic and English language learner (ELL) children and their families.
- Lining Up: The Relationship between the Common Core State Standards and Five Sets of Comparison Standards
This research study from the Educational Policy Improvement Center (EPIC) examines how well the CCSS align to five sets of existing standards.
- Reaching the Goal: The Applicability and Importance of the Common Core State Standards to College and Career Readiness
EPIC surveyed a national sample of postsecondary instructors who teach entry-level courses to rate how applicable each of the Common Core State Standards is to their courses to determine how ready students will be for postsecondary courses if they meet the CCSS.
- Common Core State Standards Math: The Relationship Between High Standards, Systemic Implementation and Student Achievement (PPT)
This presentation summarizes research by William Schmidt of Michigan State University and finds that that the CCSSM are closely aligned with the standards of high-achieving countries (as measured by performance on the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study).
- Smarter Balanced Common Core State Standards Eligible Content (PDF)
Prepared by WestEd on behalf of Smarter Balanced, this report identifies content from the CCSS that could be used for the Consortium’s end-of-year summative assessment for grades 3–8 and 11.