SMARTER BALANCED READY: Big Idea #4
Using the Assessment System Is a Team Effort
Teamwork is a key factor in successfully using the assessment system. As the following examples show, district staff developed checklists and simplified directions to help demystify the testing manual to help testing coordinators, school administrators, and test administrators understand their roles and responsibilities before, during, and after testing. They developed face-to-face train-the-trainer sessions, video-based step-by-step explanations, and PowerPoint presentations showing how to operate the computer-based test and use the Digital Library.
- Begin using the Digital Library at the very start of the school year and incorporate the library in all professional development planning.
- Construct ways for teachers to share great lessons they have utilized in the Digital Library with teachers at different sites.
- Create more vertical and horizontal planning time to support teacher use of resources in the Digital Library.
- Provide technical support with passwords and administrative tools by creating instructional screencasts.
- Provide links to resources in the Digital Library that support units of study or other instructional practices.
- Ensure that all site leaders and all administrators understand the formative assessment process as defined in the resource module within the Digital Library.
More detailed descriptions of the implementation experiences for Kerman and Alhambra School Districts are in the CAASPP in Action reports on the California Department of Education website.