Share this Page
Val Verde, California
Val Verde Includes Their ‘Scholars’ In the Use of Interim Assessment Results
NOTE: The Smarter Balanced Digital Library was decommissioned. Please visit Tools for Teachers, the new home for instructional resources and professional learning.
Educators in Val Verde, CA are finding that including scholars (how they refer to students) in their educational journey by sharing interim assessment results with them builds confidence and ownership. Using Smarter Balanced formative assessment resources in the Digital Library and instructional supports has given teachers the tools to shape their instruction based on each scholar’s achievement level. The sky is the limit!
Val Verde Unified School District
Location: Riverside County
School: Triple Crown Elementary
Motto: Where success begins
Interview Date: June 2018
“Our goal is to support our students in ways that they need support, and so I couldn’t be more thrilled with the system that we’ve got in place here in Val Verde and in really using the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium resources as a partner for us.”Michael McCormick, Superintendent, Val Verde Unified School District
Spotlight on Strategy
Scholars at Val Verde Unified are making gains (in both Math and ELA) year over year. Here are some insights into the system of Smarter Balanced teaching resources Val Verde educators are using to increase learning:
- Instructional coaches work with teams of teachers to administer interim assessment blocks (IABs) and review results using the reporting system.
- IABs provide teachers powerful information about both groups of students and individual students in their classrooms.
- Interims allow students to experience the rigor that they will experience on the year-end summative test, which gives them a big confidence boost.
- Student scholars are more connected to their learning because they can see how they are doing and they want to know how they can improve.
Interview Day: Behind the Scenes
- Val Verde Unified School District Superintendent Michael McCormick says they have a tight system in place using Smarter Balanced teaching resources, interim assessments, and reporting features.
- Deni Seagrave, principal of Triple Crown Elementary says Smarter Balanced teaching resources are helping them build independent, driven scholars who will be ready to take on anything.
- Christina Angkasuwan and Heather Campbell are instructional coaches who work with teachers to integrate Smarter Balanced teaching resources into their classrooms.
- Lila Stahley, 3rd-4th Grade Teacher, says administering IABs isn’t hard and the students pick up on it very quickly. She says it gives them confidence seeing areas where they grew.