Share this Page
Students in Springfield, VT Get Excited (and Confident) about Learning
Union Street Elementary teachers are using Smarter Balanced interim assessments for a powerful (and quick) look at student learning so they can adjust instruction in real time. Not only are students excited to see their own growth, but are so confident in their skills that they want to share their knowledge with fellow students at school-wide assemblies. Inspiring!
Springfield School District
Location: Windsor County
School: Union Street Elementary
Motto: Building a Revitalized Community, One Student at a Time
Interview Date: May 2018
“With the interim assessment, the excitement that I have felt and heard from teachers and instructional coaches is how much this particular assessment really does in fact inform what they are going to do the next day, the next week, in their next unit.”David Cohn, Director of Curriculum, Springfield School District
Spotlight on Strategy
Springfield educators began using Smarter Balanced interim assessments last year. Quickly, they realized the power they had at their fingertips. Here are some of the things that have made them successful as they’ve embarked on this instructional journey:
- Students took the interim assessments seriously and were very engaged in reviewing results.
- Interim block assessments offer immediate results that pinpoint student strengths and weaknesses so teachers can quickly tailor their instruction accordingly.
- Students get excited when they see their own improvement and become confident enough in their skills to share with their peers.
- Teachers feel supported and on the same page reviewing interim assessment results together and coming up with common teaching strategies.
Interview Day: Behind the Scenes
- The Smarter Balanced video team was lucky enough to catch some of Union Street Elementary’s assembly on the day of our visit. Students presented on the test tools built into Smarter Balanced interim assessments!
- Union Street Elementary teachers work together in PLCs to score short answers, review results from Smarter Balanced interim assessments, and develop instructional strategies.
- Teachers at Union Street Elementary have found that the students are excited to review their results from Smarter Balanced interim assessments and see their own growth in learning
- Patty Kelly goes over results from Smarter Balanced interim assessments with her team of teachers. They have found the format easy to use and the depth of information invaluable.