Your input is important, and we welcome the opportunity to answer your questions. Many details regarding the design and implementation of the Smarter Balanced assessments are addressed on our FAQ page. For questions about your state’s role in the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, please contact your state representative found on the Smarter Balanced membership map.
Below we have provided resources that address the most common questions we receive, including information on the Pilot Test, the sample items and performance tasks, and technology requirements. Since the Consortium receives a high volume of requests each day, we encourage you to review the resources on this page before submitting a request for additional information.
- Frequently asked questions webpage
- Overview presentation of Smarter Balanced (PDF)
- One-page overview factsheet (PDF)
Information on the 2013 Pilot Test
Schools participating in the scientific sample:
- Smarter Balanced Pilot Test Portal
- For information on retrieving your school’s password, and other general questions related to uploading student information and navigating the online delivery system, please contact the AIR Help Desk:
- Phone: (866) 815-7246
- Email: SmarterBalancedHelpDesk@air.org
- For questions about recruitment, please contact the recruitment contractor, Data Recognition Corporation (DRC):
- Phone: (800) 847-3193
- Email: SmarterBalancedRecruitment@DataRecognitionCorp.com
Additional Pilot Test resources:
Sample Assessment Items and Performance Tasks
The sample items and performance tasks are compatible with desktop and laptop computers with the following Internet browsers:
- Firefox 3.6 or newer
- Internet Explorer 8 or newer
- Chrome 18 or newer
- Safari 4.1 or newer
In addition, Android and iPad tablets with 9.5 inch screens (10 inch class) or larger are supported with the following Internet browsers:
- Chrome 18 or newer (Android)
- Safari 4.1 or newer (iPad)
- Technology Strategy Framework and System Requirements Specifications Executive Summary (revised 2/6/13) (PDF)
- Technology Strategy Framework and System Requirements Specifications (revised 2/6/13) (PDF)
- Hardware & Operating Systems Infographic (revised 2/6/13) (PDF)
- Technology Strategy Framework and System Requirements Specifications Q&A (PDF)
- Bandwidth Check Instructions (PDF) and Online Tool. The bandwidth checker is compatible with Mozilla Firefox on computers with Windows, OS X, or Linux operating systems; Safari on tablets using the iOS operating system; and Chrome on tablets using the Android operating system. The bandwidth checker cannot be accessed using Internet Explorer.
Employment / Procurement
Employment opportunities with Smarter Balanced and procurement information are posted by the Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Get the Latest Information from Smarter Balanced
- Sign up for our eNewsletter.
- Learn more about the Common Core State Standards and next-generation assessments in your state and contact the Smarter Balanced K-12 and higher education leads in your state.
- Follow us on Twitter (@SmarterBalanced) for instant updates.
- Find Smarter Balanced videos on YouTube and SchoolTube
- Read the latest media releases.
- To submit a question, please complete the form below. If this is a request from the media, please visit our Media Center for more information.